Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.
This week’s topic: Bookish Worlds I’d Want to/Never Want to Live In. I’m going to focus on the worlds I wouldn’t want to be a part of, because even the really cool ones, like Harry Potter, have some super dark aspects that have me saying NOPE.
- Adarlan from the Throne of Glass series. Lots of battles, war, things exploding, evil men in charge. No thank you.
- The US in the Monument 14 series. Basically some government chemical warfare went sideways, and people get different types of weird according to their blood type. I DON’T EVEN KNOW MY BLOOD TYPE! So which weird would I be? WHO KNOWS AND NO THANK YOU.
- Planet Earth from The 5th Wave series. I always assume that I will be one of the first to die in any zombie apocalypse/alien invasion/pandemic flu. I am just not the girl who survives until the end. My skills include reading books, complaining about my hands being dirty, and watching other people do things. So I would die in the first wave, but if by some miracle I made it to the 5th there are aliens to contend with who are trying to kill all the humans. NOPE.
- Under the Mountain from A Court of Thorns and Roses. Modeled after the Court of Nightmares and also lorded over by an evil queen. The only redeeming factor is Rhysand, who has to pretend to be evil while there anywhere. NAH, NOT FOR ME.
5. Kerenza, the Lincoln, the Hypatia, the Alexander from The Illuminae Files. Again, I assume I would die in the original war when Kerenza was invaded, but if I made it off the planet and had to deal with the zombie-like plague outbreak and a crazy computer system that kills people? NOPE NOPE NOPE.
6. The US during the Last Survivors series. A meteor knocks the moon closer to the earth, causing tsunamis, earthquakes, volcano eruptions, and turning summer to winter? I’d be dead so fast. NO THANKS.
7. This is Not A Test world. Zombie apocalypse, where I would for sure not survive. NOPE.
8. The rehabilitation camps in The Darkest Minds series. Either you’re killed by a mysterious virus as a kid, or you develop abilities that the government is afraid of so they send every kid away to “rehabilitation camps”. Since there’s no rhyme or reason as to who the virus goes after, I might make it through that. But if I did, I’d get some ability that I may or may not be able to control and would be sent away to a rehab that sounds a lot like the concentration camps of the Holocaust. NO WAY.
9. Panem in The Hunger Games series. Let’s assume I end up in a district where I get enough food and water without having to hunt for it myself and don’t have to worry too much about survival every day. I would probably die of a panic attack when I turned 12 and had to have my name dropped into the Hunger Games bucket for girls. If I didn’t and made it to the Games? I’m for sure the one who gets killed in the first 20 minutes and NO THANK YOU.
10. Ketterdam from the Six of Crows duo. Would either end up at a brothel, human trafficking, or in one of the crime organizations. Like I said, my survival skills are zero, so THANK YOU BUT NOPE.
What bookish worlds would you love or hate? What kind of list did you make this week?