Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.
This week’s topic: Winter 2018 TBR. In all honesty I’m not sure what this means because 2018 is almost over, but regardless I don’t really make a TBR because I can’t stick to one to save my life. I’m a mood reader who sometimes can’t even tell what mood she’s in. When that happens, I ask one of the pugs to choose for me:
Mack is my most reliable chooser. The other two get easily distracted.
Anyway, I’m switching this week’s topic up a bit to work for me. I’ve been lucky enough to read ten (TEN!!) arcs that come out in January, so I’m going to do Top Ten Quotes from January Releases to get you guys hyped about some books that are releasing soon that I got to read and want you to read, too!
1.”Just because I walked out here with you…and kissed you…doesn’t make me a cock-tease. That’s not the way it works, asshole.” The Me I Meant to Be by Sophie Jordan, release date 1/1/19
Yes girl, PREACH! Starting out the new year right with a good patriarchy smash and putting some jackass in his place. I haven’t gotten a review up of this one yet, but I loved it. There is a scene in a closet near the beginning that just…whew (fans self).
2. “I’m positive I just had Slayer dreams, which means that simply by knowing about a power, I was able to tap into it. What else can I do if I understand myself better?” Slayer by Kiersten White, release date 1/8/19
I’m actually in the middle of this one now, and it’s good so far! I looooved Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but I think you’d be able to enjoy this even if you didn’t watch the show. I think it’s also referencing a lot from the comics that came after, which I didn’t read, but I’m totally able to keep up. So as of now, big thumbs up.
3. “I have to believe my brother isn’t a monster, even though he did something monstrous.” Even If I Fall, Abigail Johnson, release date 1/8/19
Another one I haven’t reviewed yet, but liked very much. This one ticked so many boxes for me, including a mystery I didn’t anticipate and a good slow-burn.
4. “People love to be scared in a controlled environment. There’s something deeply, fundamentally satisfying about confronting a monster and escaping unscathed.” Two Can Keep a Secret by Karen M. McManus, release date 1/8/19
Wow I really haven’t reviewed many of my January reads yet, but I looooved this one. And I loved this quote. It neatly explains why I loved horror movies and the idea of haunted houses and a scary amusement park.
5. “If you regret your move, make another. There are games yet to play.” The Wicked King by Holly Black, release date 1/8/19
I still can’t believe I got to read an early copy of The Wicked King, and I’m sorry don’t hate me. It’s incredible but soon you can all read it too!! But fair warning guys, THAT ENDING HOLY SHIT IS THAT FOR REAL?!?!?!?!?!
6. “‘Were you eating cold lasagna?’
‘But the microwave is right there. Love yourself.'” Famous in a Small Town by Emma Mills, release date 1/15/19
Hey look, I did review this one! And I loved it because duh who doesn’t love Emma Mills, but her books really just get better and better every time.
7. “It takes a lot of energy to love someone as much as I do without being loved back the way you want. It drains you. I have never felt quite this drained before.” Our Year of Maybe by Rachel Lynn Solomon, release date 1/15/19
8. “You manage to smash the patriarchy with a minimum of raging. It’s a thing of beauty.” The Birds, The Bees and You and Me by Olivia Hinebaugh, release date 1/22/19
Soooo good guys! Sex-positive, girl power, condoms for everyone, sex education for everyone, consent every step of the way, and soft boys who wear eyeliner while kissing you senseless.
9. “Forgiveness removes yourself from inside the situation and gives you the ability to look upon it with different eyes.” Only a Breath Apart by Katie McGarry, release date 1/22/19
I just finished this one last night, and I definitely enjoyed it! It gets a little Jesusy for me, but I still really liked it, and found Jesse and Scarlett super compelling.
10. “This is the most reckless thing I’ve ever done.
Wait. No. The most reckless thing I’ve ever done was attack a guy on the street with a tire iron. So I guess this is fine.” A Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer, release date 1/29/19
No review yet, but mad love for this Beauty and the Beast retelling where Beauty actually understands Stockholm Syndrome from the get-go and is not having it. Our girl is not about to be manipulated into anything, and I need a sequel ASAP because there is a a whole lot of stuff I need more of.
Alright guys, that’s my Top Ten for the week! What do you think, did I talk you into picking up any of these when they come out next month? Think about preordering, too. Preorders really help authors, and some of these have really awesome pre-order campaigns going on right now (looking at you, Our Year of Maybe and Even If I Fall!). Here’s an awesome blog that rounds them all up for you so you can make sure you’re hitting them all!