Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.
This week’s topic is Inspirational/Thought-Provoking Book Quotes. In order to not spend a hundred hours going through all of my old quote notebooks to find the ~perfect~ quotes to share, I thought I’d make this a little fun for everyone by only picking quotes from unreleased books. SO here are my top ten thought-provoking (and what is thought-provoking, anyway? It’s something different to everyone, so here are the ones that made me think) quotes.
1.“I know better than anyone that you can’t always draw a straight line from the who you once were to the who you are now.”
Hope and Other Punch Lines, by Julie Buxbaum, May 7, 2019
2. “Should I tell you that when we’re apart, your body comes back to me in dreams? That when I sleep, I see you, the dip of your waist, the freckle above your hip, and when I wake up in the morning, it feels like I’ve just been with you, the phantom touch of your hand on the back of my neck fresh and not imagined? That I can feel your skin against mine, and it makes every bone in my body ache? That, for a few moments, I can hold my breath and be back there with you, in a dream, in a thousand rooms, nowhere at all?”
Red, White & Royal Blue, by Casey McQuinston, May 14, 2019
3. “Those same people remain unseen, free to give birth to skeleton after skeleton in closets, until those same closets are graveyards built on secrets.”
All Our Broken Pieces, by L.D. Crichton, May 7, 2019
4. “You’re used to being underestimated, so you want to prove yourself. Don’t let that be your crutch. Accept help when you need it.”
Spin the Dawn, by Elizabeth Lim, July 9, 2019
5. “There are a million ways coming here doesn’t happen, but none of them feel possible. I was always on my way. This has always already happened.”
Wilder Girls, by Rory Power, July 9, 2019
6. “Too many people were unnerved by silence, but not her. She knew what could be accomplished in a beat of silence, if you were willing to let it unfold.”
American Royals, by Katharine McGee, September 3, 2019
7. “I wouldn’t mind if our wishes got twisted up in each other.”
House of Salt and Sorrows, by Erin A. Craig, August 6, 2019
8. “Not everyone is fast. Not everyone is clever. I could only stay one step ahead of my enemy before my reinforcements arrived…But if you’re one step ahead of them, they still haven’t caught you.”
The Beholder, by Anna Bright, June 4, 2019
9. “Who am I to deny gravity? When you shine brighter than any constellation in the sky?”
Aurora Rising, by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff, May 7, 2019
10. “But stories can go away. Stories can be rewritten. Reshaped. Retold. In the end, it does not matter what a story is about. It only matters who gets to tell it.”
The Kingdom, by Jess Rothenberg, May 28, 2019
So tell me, was this fun, getting a little preview of books to come? Or does it just drive you crazy that they aren’t out yet? I go back and forth myself. Sometimes I have to read every single shred I can about something unreleased, and sometimes I like to pretend it doesn’t exist until the day it’s out.